HKD - Hong Kong Dollar
The Hong Kong Dollar is the currency of Hong Kong. Our currency rankings show that the most popular Hong Kong Dollar exchange rate is the USD to HKD rate. The currency code for Dollars is HKD, and the currency symbol is HK$. Below, you'll find Hong Kong Dollar rates and a currency converter. You can also subscribe to our currency newsletters with daily rates and analysis, read Hong Kong Dollar News, or take HKD rates on the go with our XE Currency Apps and website. More info ►
Top HKD Exchange Rates
0 : 59
Did you know?
XE Currency Converter
Why are you interested in the HKD?
During the 19th century, Hong Kong used a variety of foreign currencies such as Indian Rupees, Spanish Dollars, Mexican Pesos, and Chinese coins for daily transactions. As a British colony, an attempt to standardize the currency system was made in 1825 by introducing Sterling coins. This currency, however, proved to be unpopular and foreign coins continued to circulate.
In 1863, London's Royal Mint began issuing Hong Kong Dollar coins. By 1935, Hong Kong was the only country left on the silver standard. During Japanese occupation the Dollar was temporarily suspended, replaced by the Japanese Military Yen. In 1945, the Hong Kong was re-issued, pegged to the British Pound at a rate of 16 HKD to 1 GBP. In 1972, the Hong Kong Dollar re-pegged to the US Dollar, with the rate changing multiple times over the next few decades. Currently, the HKD operates on a linked exchange rate regime.
- Indonesia's c.bank holds reference rate as trade balance improves
- Swiss stocks - Factors to watch on Dec 12
- Profit-taking, weak oil push Russian assets down
- South Africa's rand weaker ahead of producer inflation data
- Fitch Affirms IDRs of 10 Mid-Tier China Banks; Downgrades VRs of Minsheng and ...
- India cbank says to conduct 14-day term repo auction for 485 bln rupees on ...